Thursday, January 22, 2015

DANEJA MENTALE - "UNTITLED: THE DAY I FIRST HEARD ILLMATIC"


When I first heard Nasty Nas / I didn't have "Illmatic" / wasn't feeling "Halftime" / now that might cause a little static / but listen close before you throw the stones / a lot of west coast jams had me in a zone / I was addicted to the funk / 2 years since the release / still bumping "Chronic" / Dre had a masterpiece / and I was still on it / until one night / my homie brought a couple of stolen cassettes / one was Paris / but I popped "Illmatic" in the deck / first "The Genesis" / I've never seen "Wild Style" but the beat was from it / "NY State of Mind " / was like a punch straight to the stomach / then I heard AZ on "Life's A B***h" / just that verse alone / I had to rewrite my s**t / and I was amped up when I heard "The World Is Yours" / with Pete Rock on the beat / here in the south / I'm fantasizing about the streets of Queens / skipped "Halftime" and for many years / I wouldn't play it / as I take you down "Memory Lane" / I used to hate it / but not that one / along with "One Love" / that was the joint / I could see the vivid stories / Nas was telling on point / the lyrics were mad real / "One Time 4 Your Mind" packed mass appeal / how could I sleep on this? / this joint was too real / glad I didn't / cause I would have missed "Represent" / back then everything Premo did sounded heaven-sent / and by track 10 / I was out of my shell / "Illmatic" inspired me / ask Large Pro / "It Ain't Hard To Tell" / it changed me in many ways / from ghetto fantasies to introspection / now I'm focused on reality / changing my direction / 20 years later / the CD's still in rotation / it has become a great source of inspiration / I'm still keeping my ear close for information / the greatest record of 94 never touched my stations / but if wasn't that tape that I was bumping / I would have never changed my views / you would have heard a different dude.

Daneja Mentale

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

FIRST THINGS FIRST. IF YOU CAME HERE FOR DOWNLOADS OF OTHER ARTISTS (ex: NAS, JAY-Z, T.I.) YOU CAME TO THE WRONG PAGE. HOWEVER, I HAVE LINKS BELOW JUST FOR THAT. THIS BLOG IS POSTED WITH UNDERGROUND HIP HOP ALBUMS ASSOCIATED WITH DEF FOR LIFE RECORDS OR SOUL MAFIA ENTERPRISES. THIS BLOG WAS CREATED TO GIVE MANY OTHER UNHEARD ARTISTS THE CHANCE TO BE HEARD. RELATED ALBUMS FROM NME WRECKIDZ, PSYLENT ENT., L-PRODUCTIONS AND OTHER LABELS WILL BE POSTED. WE PROVIDE FOR YOU, NOTHING BUT REAL HIP HOP MUSIC FROM THE UNDERGROUND WORLDWIDE. I WILL TRY MY BEST TO UPDATE ANY BROKEN LINKS OR UNFINISHED POSTS. SO JUST KICK BACK, LISTEN AND ENJOY

Ratings by outbrain